Dog Walking Rates

dog walkers city mega

One of the first obstacles a professional dog walker has to overcome is to set his or her rates. It can be hard to decide where to start and searching online can bring a whole range of results. There’s a few things to bare in mind when working out your price list, and a few variables that should effect your decision. Lets have a look at some of them…

First of all, starting off low is always better than starting high for a new dog walker/sitter. Especially if your initial clients are friends and family. Getting the word out that your rates are cheap is a great way to get new customers. Once you’re more established and have a fair sized customer base you can think about putting your prices up.

Let’s take a look at some average rates for walking one dog (in US dollars and UK pounds):

½ hour walk: $15/£10

1 hour walk: $25/£15

If you are being hired for multiple days during the week you could should add an extra discount as follows:

5 ½ hour walks: $60/£40 (works out as one day free/20% off)

5, 1 hour walks: $100/£60 (works out as one day free/20% off)

Remember, these rates will fluctuate in different areas and countries. For example if you live in a large city (New York, LA, London, Manchester) you could add an extra 20% on to these rates, depending on the competition in your area.

You should also charge for any food, treats, bathing and any other extras you provide. Make sure you price these extras accordingly so that they’re worth your time.

Do you agree with these rates? What do you charge and what do you charge extra for? Let us know in the comments! If you haven’t signed up to Dog Walkers City yet head to our homepage by clicking here.

The Dog Walkers City Mega Membership is now available. Sign up today for a vast number of benefits ranging from premium members profiles to business guides and invoice templates. If you’re looking to be or you are a dog sitter, then this is the only membership you’ll ever need. Find out more here.

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Dog Walking Rates”

1. Jennifer says:

It is ILLEGAL to discuss rates in this manner. It is considered “price setting” by an industry. You can say “$X.00″ – but you CANNOT mention a specific price or price range.

2. Rachele says:

These rates are great…if you are walking or biking to your visits. You need to factor in your overhead or you’ll go out of business quickly. Am I more expensive than someone doing this in their spare time for friends & family? I sure am, but I will also be around to care for my clients for years to come and since I devote nearly all of my “spare” time to volunteer work for pet rescues, I have a wealth of knowledge and resources to then share with my clients and use to improve the care that their pets receive. Most pet parents want the best for their furkids – not the cheapest. If you start out too low (a mistake I did initially make), it makes it awkward when you do eventually have to raise your rates to stay afloat (which I did) and you’ll also be undervaluing your services which hurts other businesses that are charging more appropriate rates. Another consideration is that the clients that keep you in business and allow you to continue to work doing what you love best are the ones that use you frequently. People that cannot or will not pay a high enough rate to allow you to pay your bills are not going to be using your services frequently and they are not going to be your “bread and butter” clients. Of course, rates are highly dependent upon locale. What one charges in New York won’t be the same as what one charges in Ohio and that is to be expected. I would advise any new dog walkers to learn the market and do some research. Look for other sitters that have been in business for 5+ years and who are doing this as a sole income and find out what they charge to determine how much you’ll charge. You can offer a discount for new clients when you are first starting out to get some buzz, but you’ll find later on that discounts hurt more than help after those first few months.

3. jeff capco says:

I agree completely. I also think that is is harmful to other pet sitters and your own business to undercut prices.

4. Hello!
    We are a team of veterinary technicians and of course are insured, bonded, and licensed. We are CPR certified and have lots of experience in the veterinary and pet sitting world.

Our rates are similar to most in the Bay Area (California, USA).

$25-30 for a 30 minute walk
    $25 with a 5% discount if using us 4 or more days a week

*these rates are typically for one dog, add $5 for an additional dog.

• Breymann says:

To Vet Tech Pet Care…

Hi, thank you for your post. I am curious what resource you used to become insured, bonded and licensed?

Thanks!

• DogWalkersCity says:

Hi Breymann,

I’m going to be writing an article on this subject to be posted early next week. Look out for it!

5. Joan & David says:

These seem prettygood to me here in New Smyrna Beach, Fl and like Jeff, we are also tired of Politically correct and Government policing of things none of their damn business.

6. Jay says:

An interesting discussion!!
    Don’t see why it is illegal to discuss rates…
    walking – £5 – £10
    daycare – £10 – £15
    sitting – £15 – £20
    My rates are low as I see myself as providing a service rather than running a business. I have a main income and the dog walking/sitting and daycare is something supplementary. I am not trying to compete or undercut others. Sometimes those that do try my service become regular users of my service and from time to time give me a little extra on top of the agreed rate. These are not family or friends but customers. People return to me not because of my rates but because of the way I look after their dogs. If this was my only income then of course I would charge more.

7. David (Top Dogs) says:

Yes I agree with the polictical correctness of everything nowadays, does not seem to matter which side of the pond you are on either, advice is advice afterall.

The rates discussed do not seem to be out of proportion and are very similiar to what I charge myself, my reservation at the moment is that we are in a recession, so many people are finding things tough, that means your market research in your area is critical, as in all businesses, when starting out it is unlikely that you can ask for top rates, however pitching too low is not helpful either, but it is most definately useful to know what you are expecting to achieve later.

Good service with a competitive rate will gradually lead to better rates as your reputation grows.

Service is the clincher here, does not matter what you charge if the service is poor

8. Anna Cronin says:

Illegal to publish, discuss or argue over pricing for any commodity or service? Really!! Mercifully, for those who advertise fees, the nay-sayers are spreading faulty rumors. My position on David’s “advice is advice, after all,” is down right dangerous. Imagine the legal & moral consequences as one’s life’s motto!

Anyhow… presumably, price fixing is the term.

Currently, the act of price fixing (under the umbrella of anti-trust laws) between a cooperating buyer(s) & seller(s) is, exceptionally, illegal. Criminal prosecution is pursued by the Department of Justice and the FTC prosecutes civil anti-trust transgressors. American anti-trust laws shift under specific conditions; i.e., cable/internet service, electrical, natural gas, etc.

Anticompetitive contracts may involve mandatory surcharges or elevated prices by controlling supply & demand. Rather, the cartel’s objective is the stabilization of financial credit terms or deep discounts, control territories or customers, etc.

Financial greed/gain is the bloodsucker’s prize. Be as it may, the study of Neoclassical economics has proven price fixing to be quite ineffectual, at best. Whenever prices or services are greater than what the market can bare, the producer/buyer hand’s are full extortionately priced deadweight. Ultimately, price fixing, in any form, is aimed to backfire.extortionately